Endoscopic Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery Clinic
Endoscopic Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery Clinic of Nairi MC was founded in 2015. The main directions of the Clinic activity are the brain and spinal cord minimally invasive surgeries in various diseases. In addition, specialists of the Clinic have established the AAMIESS (Spinal Association of minimally invasive and endoscopic surgery), which is considered to be Armenian branch of ISMISS (minimal invasive surgery Spinal Association).
The Clinic closely cooperates with leading experts of ISMISS: Prof. H. Leu, V. Radchenko, B. Daruonon, E. Chesnulis, V. Parfyonov, M. Stepanyan, Yu. Grigoryan, M. Schubert and others.
Our specialists are the first in Armenia in 2007 conducted the endoscopic vertebroplasty of the body of vertebra and intervertebral hernia removal. At our department, all surgical interventions are carried out in accordance with international standards in the field of neurosurgery. For treatment of cervical hernia in the Clinic not only open surgery access but mainly the endoscopic surgery is widely used. In different parts of spine fractures and tumors the transpedicular fixation and vertebroplastics are used.
In the case of tumors, its removal and burning with the help of ablation are performed. In addition, the Clinic is the first that equipped with the Cosman RF generator, which allows:
- Performing ablation in the small size intervertebral hernia. The procedure is performed under the CT-control: under local anesthesia, a needle is inserted into the intervertebral cartilage and connected to the generator; in results the heat energy is released, which leads to wrinkles and disappearance of the hernia cartilage.
- The back pain in spondiloarthroses arised as consequences of the inflammation of the interspinal joints. This cause a constant tension and pain. The volume of movements is limited. In this case under the local anesthesia a special needle is inserted into the region of affected vertebra and its denervation is performed. This procedure releases the pain.
- With the Cosman RF technology it is possible to treat the neuralgia of n. trigeminus by denervation of its sensory branches.
- Patients with tumor lesions often suffer from severe pain syndrome, which does not go away even when using narcotic analgesics. For such patients, we offer percutaneous CT-controlled cordotomy for pain relief. The essence of manipulation is in ablation of the sensitive nerve of dorsal-thalamic tract, which passes in the upper cervical part (C1-C2) of the spinal cord. Due to the effect, the deep sensitivity of one part of the body decreases or disappears. So, the pain syndrom which comes from tumor are not transmitted to the brain and the patient gets rid of the pain. An alternative method of treatment is considered to be spinal cord stimulation.
From 2016 at the Clinic the stimulation spinal surgeries was introduced. This method allows treating patients that suffers from various disorders of spinal cord.
The Center also performed surgery of the patients with brain tumor. The Endoscopic Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery Clinic is the only place in Armenia where conducted the pituitary tumors endonazal endoscopic surgery. This method allows avoiding of trepanation and decreasing the hospital stay up to 5-6 days.
In 2016 the Clinic has been equipped with the STEALTHSTATION neuro-navigation system and INTEGRA ultrasound destructor, which are also innovation technologies for Armenia in the field of neurosurgery. They are minimizing the possible risks of intraoperative complications.
The Clinic closely cooperates with the partners from Russian and Germany various clinics. In case of necessity it is possible to perform joint surgery cases with participation of the partners of the Clinic.
Main surgical interventions performed in the clinic
1. Spine and spinal cord lesion
- Endoscopic removal of cervical hernias;
- Open surgical removal of the big size cervical intervertebral cartilage hernias by frontal or posterior approaches with consequent implantation;
- Fixing surgery in tumor or traumatic lesions of cervical, thoracic and lumbar segments of the spine;
- Transcutaneus vertebroplasty with the bone cement in congenital, traumatic or neoplastic lesions of cervical, thoracic and lumbar segments of the spine;
- Endoscopic removal of lumbal segment spinal hernia;
- Cosman RF ablation under the CT-control of the small-sized hernia of lumbosacral segment;
- Cosman RF denervation in spondiloarthrosis and back pain;
- Spinal stimulation in patients with sustainable pain syndrome.
2. Brain disorders
- In Brain Tumors its destruction or removal with the help of neuro-navigation and ultrasound destruction system;
- Endoscopic pituitary adenoma removal through the transnazal approach;
- Surgical treatment of brain injury and hemorrhagic stroke;
- The surgical treatment of drug resistant epilepsy;
- Biopsy of the brain in different lesion with the help of neuronavigation.
- COSMAN RF technology in the treatment of various pain syndromes;
- The brain and spinal endoscopic surgery;
- Fixation surgeries of the spine with the use of a titanium implant and bone cements;
- Surgical treatment of congenital brain tumor lesions using the STEALTHSTATION navigation system;
- The selective removal of brain tumors using intraoperative ultrasound destructor.
- COSMAN RF high frequency system;
- INTEGRA ultrasonic destructor;
- STEALTHSTATION neuronavigation system, MEDTRONIC