Diagnostics and treatment of acute and chronic cerebral dyscirculations, various diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system of the vascular, inflammatory, autoimmune, posttraumatic genesis, as well as motor disorders, etc. are carried out in the Angioneurology Department.
The Angioneurology Department was founded in the Medical Center Nairi in 1998 and it is the clinical base of the Chair of Angioneurology of YSMU after M. Heratsi, where specialization and postgraduate studies take place, both neurologists and doctors of other related specialties.
The Department includes the following services:
- speech therapy,
- treatment of movement disorders,
Annually about 500 patients with various diseases receive treatment at the Department.
Main activities and equipment
The priority activity of the department is the problem of acute stroke and the study of the role of exogenous and endogenous factors in the development of cerebral circulation disorders. In its activities, the department adheres to the recommendations developed by the well-known international and European associations to combat stroke.
- The center has the possibility of performing CT in the first 24 hours after the onset of the disease
There is an integrated multidisciplinary team of neurologists, neuroophthalmologists, cardiologists, endocrinologists, therapists, rehabilitation specialists, who provide optimal management and treatment of patients with stroke
- The department has a specially trained nursing staff, providing care for patients with stroke
- The department implements the early multidisciplinary rehabilitation of patients, which includes the complex work of a speech therapist, a kinesiotherapist, a physiotherapist at various stages of the disease
- The department is able to conduct a full range of radiological studies - CT, MRI, CT and MRI angiography.
- The department performs duplex scanning of the main vessels of the head and neck
- ECG, Echocardiography, Holter monitoring, a wide spectrum of laboratory blood tests, including special markers, reflecting the extent of brain damage, determination of the gas composition of blood, etc., are performed.
- The methods of plasmapheresis, pulsterapia with corticosteroids are used.
The department provides comprehensive diagnosis and selection of basic therapy for patients, taking into account co-morbidities, age, and identified risk factors.
Primary importance is attached to the following provisions:
- Initial therapy of stroke patients in the neuroreanimation department
- Multidisciplinary approach to the management and treatment of brain dyscirculations, based on close cooperation of doctors of various specialties - neuroreanimatologists, neurosurgeons, neurologists, cardiologists, endocrinologists, vascular surgeons, radiologists, kinesotherapists, speech therapists, specially trained personnel, etc.
As a result of such approaches and organization of treatment, the Department achieved significant results in reducing the percentage of deaths from stroke, which was 3-5% per year.
An important activity of the Center is the use in clinical practice of modern advances in the problem of stroke, based on the study of the neuroimmunoendocrine network.
Partners and sponsors
The Center cooperates and conducts joint research with the branch of the Biomedical Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Armenia.