Consultative & Diagnostic Ophthalmology Department
The Consultative and Diagnostic Department of the Ophthalmology Clinic of MC Nairi carries out a comprehensive examination of the vision with a primary diagnostics of vision disorders, which is the very first and important step towards eye health. It is paramount important because early detection and diagnostics of eye disease at the very beginning of development in majority eye pathologies cases make possible to start their timely and consequently effective treatment.
In addition, follow-up examinations are conducted after a course of hardware, medication, laser or surgical treatment.
Diagnostic procedures and manipulations in the department can last from thirty minutes to one and a half hours upon of the nature of the patient's complaints, objective indications, as well as the age of the patient. During the examination, a highly qualified specialist determines visual acuity, refraction, measures intraocular pressure, etc. In addition, the doctors conduct a study of the state of the eye through a special microscope (bio-microscopy). The eye fundus, the condition of the retina and the optic nerve are also inspected, including with the dilated pupil (ophthalmoscopy). It is possible to determine also the level of tear production, the field of vision (perimetry), to reveal the pathology of the anterior corner of the eye (gonioscopy), etc. Additional procedures may include the measurement of the thickness of the cornea (pachymetry), as well as the detection of the length of the antero-posterior axis of the eye with the use of APA or echobiometry.
Applied hardware methods of examination, including ultrasound diagnostics of the eyes (B-scan), optical coherence tomography (OCT), computer keratotopography.
The Consultative & Diagnostic Department includes a:
- Primary Examination room
- Glaucoma diagnostics room
- Cataract diagnostics room
- Ametropia diagnostics room
- Retinal diseases diagnostics room
- Lacrimal duct pathology and eyelid deformities diagnostics room
In the Consultative & Diagnostic Department patients are examined and a wide range of diagnostics of eye diseases (myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism, viral, bacterial and demodicostic eye diseases, corneal diseases, eyelids and conjunctiva diseases, lacrimal passages pathologies, etc.). There is a large arsenal of modern diagnostic equipment in the department that helps to provide the early detection of such serious diseases as glaucoma, retinal and optic nerve pathology.
The Primary Examination Room
Primary Examination room is designed for the examination of patients who first confronted with the manifestation of eye diseases, or came for prevention of ocular pathologies.
In Primary Examination Room are carried out:
- Definition of visual acuity with the necessary correction
- Autorefractometry - automatic detection of refractive (optics) of the eye, followed by prescription of reading glasses for rerading, working on the computer, etc.,
- Measurement of refractive errors using phoropter – modern methods of spectacle correction,
- Measurement of intraocular pressure (IOP) by pneumotonometry, which is a modern non-contact method of examination and is the primary health care for the early glaucoma diagnosis
- Measurement of the acuity and nature of vision, the presence of binocular and color vision, detection of visual anomalies with the sign-projector.
After checkup in the Primary Examination room and upon detection of diseases of the eye, the patient is sent to a specified doctor to arrange in-depth examination or treatment.
In the Consultative & Diagnostic Department of the Ophthalmology Clinic MC Nairi, the best equipment from the flagships of the world medical equipment manufacturer is installed.
For the primary diagnostics of eye disease in department is applied the follow equipment:
- Ophthalmoscope straight Heine K180;
- Autorefkeratometer HRK-7000 (Huvitz);
- Non-contact automatic tonometer Reichert 7;
- Slit lamp Xcel 255 (Reichert);
- Automatic projector of signs Huvitz SSR-3100.
When assigning additional more detailed examination the following equipment is used:
- Diagnostic device for non-contact examination of the eye parameters with calculation of IOL Master500 intraocular lens (Carl Zeiss);
- Coherent optical tomograph RTVue-100;
- Automatic eye tonograph GlauTest-60;
- Pachymeter-Biometr OcuScan;
- AllegroTopolyser keratotopograph (WaveLight AG);
- KCSM Light-Test;
- Ultrasonic A/B scanner from Tomey UD 6000;
- Perigraph "PERIKOM".