Department of General & Laparascopic Surgery N1
Department of General and Laparoscopic Surgery N1 of MC Nairi have been operating since 2004 under the management of the Doctor of Medical Sciences, Prof. Andranik I. Adamian. Here render high-qualified surgical care for patient with various diseases of the abdominal and thoracic cavity organs, retroperitoneal space. The department has extensive experience in urgent and planned surgery with pathologies of the abdominal cavity and esophagus, as well as in the treatment of both benign and malignant diseases. The department annually performs hundreds of different surgical procedures. The staff of the department has accumulated a wide experience of performing various minimally invasive interventions with the use of high-tech techniques and mini-access for various diseases of the abdominal cavity, esophagus, and retroperitoneal space.
Only in the department of general and laparoscopic surgery N1 of MC Nairi performed such exclusive surgical interventions as
- combined laparoscopic and transanal surgeries for tumors of the rectum,
- laparoscopic resections of the stomach in various modifications for peptic ulcer and oncological pathology,
- thoraco-laparoscopic operations for tumors of the esophagus with its complete replacement by the gastric tube,
- laparoscopic pancreatoduodenal resection (PDR) with a tumor lesion of the head of the pancreas, the terminal part of choledochus and Faterov's nipple.
Laparoscopic or minimally invasive surgery is considered an innovative direction in surgery, and it has several advantages over traditional surgery. Laparoscopic surgery of the abdominal and pelvic organs, without the traditional incision, using the newest technologies is less traumatic for the patient, has a lower risk of bleeding and postoperative complications, a short period of hospitalization (1-2 days) and postoperative rehabilitation that combined with an excellent cosmetic effect. Laparoscopic surgery is considered a breakthrough in surgery, and in many cases it has already replaced traditional surgery. Laparoscopic surgery requires high skill and experience of the surgeon in working with medical equipment designed to perform this type of surgery.
Laparoscopic surgery can be performed for patients of any ages.
In the Department of General and Laparoscopic Surgery N1 the following surgical interventions are performed with both open surgical access and laparoscopic-endoscopic method, depending on the indications.
List of surgical interventions:
- Surgery for oncological pathology of the esophagus - thoraco-laparoscopic extirpation of the esophagus with its replacement by the gastric tube.
- Surgical intervention in diaphragmatic hernia, hernia of the foramen esophagus of the diaphragm, in achalasia and failure of cardia with reflux esophagitis - are performed by laparoscopic and open surgery method, including the use of mesh prostheses.
- Surgery on the stomach with ulcerous, tumor lesions or foreign bodies - laparoscopic and open surgery method of stomach resection in various modifications, including advanced oncological surgery with lymphodissection, atypical resections, removal of foreign bodies, gastrostomy for feeding patients with various diseases, gastrectomy.
- Surgery on the duodenum in peptic ulcer complicated by stenosis, bleeding, perforation.
- Surgery on the pancreas (laparoscopic and open surgery method), performed in pancreatitis, pancreatic necrosis, cysts, head, body and tail tumors (distal and proximal resection - PDR, including by laparoscopic method, which exclusive performed in Armenia by prof. AI Adamyan).
- Surgery on the liver - resection, laparoscopic removal of echinococcal cysts of any location.
- Surgery on the bile duct, including reconstructive ones - in choledocholithiasis, strictures, tumor lesions, performed both by open method and laparoscopically.
- Cholecystectomy in cholelithiasis, gallbladder polyposis, tumor lesion, performed foremost laparoscopically.
- Surgery on the small intestine - resection with the imposition of manual and hardware anastomosis in any modifications, elimination of intestinal obstruction, removal of foreign bodies and bezoars, creation and closure by enterostom, dissection of adhesions.
- Surgery on the colon, performed by the laparoscopic and open surgery method: hemicolectomy (right-sided and left-sided), abdominal-perineal rectal extirpation, anterior and low rectal resection with anastomosis (hardware or manual), colostomy creation and closure, surgery in diverticulosis and diverticulitis.
- Surgery for retroperitoneal tumors, performed by laparoscopic and open surgery method.
- Surgery in spleen diseases - open and laparoscopic.
- Herniaectomy with plastic mesh prosthesis in inguinal and inguino-scrotal hernias, umbilical and ventral hernias, including giant postoperative, recurring and strangulated hernias complicated by intestinal obstruction. Performed as an open surgery and laparoscopic method.
- Appendectomy for acute and chronic appendicitis, tumors of the appendix.
- Various surgeries are performed by the surgeon’s multiprofile team in case of complex pathologies such as gynecologists, oncogynecologists, urologists, etc., such as laparoscopic nephrectomy, laparoscopic adrenalectomy (removal of the affected adrenal gland), etc.
- Peritonitis of any etiology and localization. Laparoscopic treatment and sanitation.
- Inflammatory diseases of the abdominal organs with the formation of an infiltrate or abscess.
- Cysts and tumors of the abdominal cavity and retroperitoneal space.
- Complicated colon and rectal cancer (stenosis, obstruction, bleeding, and perforation). Surgery with the use of modern technology.
- Lipomas, atheromas of various localizations.
Following the tendencies of the development of world surgery to reduce the invasiveness of surgical interventions, priority in the work of the department has sparing, low-traumatic surgical procedures. The surgical department is equipped with the most modern equipment and innovative methods of treatment, which allows performing enlarged surgical interventions with minimal risk for the life of patients and expanding the possibilities of safe surgery. The upgraded surgery unit is a modern surgical complex that allows not only to perform complex surgical interventions, but also to hold videoconferences; telemedicine broadcasts in real time, and implement continuous distance learning programs in the framework of continuous medical education both in Armenia and with the participation of foreign colleagues.
Surgical treatment of patients in the department is carried out according to the world standards and requirements with high efficiency indicators.
The department is equipped with a full range of modern equipment from leading European companies. Specialists of the department were trained in well-known clinics of Europe and America.
Postoperative wards are of high comfort and equipped with a central supply of oxygen, a system for monitoring of breathing, pressure, heart rate, ECG, as well as an emergency nurse call system.