Ultrasound Diagnostics Department
High-level of visualization of US equipment allows to increase detectability of pathologies, to examine the smallest tissue structure more precise and clearer and increase the effectiveness of differential diagnosis, which increases detectability of diseases at earlier stages of development and provide more effective treatment.
In MC Nairi are carried out all existing US examinations:
- US examination of abdominal cavity organs
- kidney, adrenal glands
- thyroid gland
- lymph nodes and salivary glands
- mammary glands
- pelvic organs in men and women
- soft tissues and joints
- triplex scanning of grate vessels and vessels of internal organs
- ultrasound control of pregnancy during all trimesters
- Doppler of uteroplacental and fetal blood flow
- echocardiogram and stress echocardiogram
- construction of volumetric image of a fetus or any organ
Ultrasound examination of the abdomen and retroperitoneal space
Due to abdominal ultrasound it is possible to define the exact sizes of all internal organs: liver, gallbladder and bile ducts, spleen, pancreas, kidneys, adrenal glands, ureter, bladder, large vessels, prostate, define their structure, reveal the presence of any inflammatory lesions, tumors or concrements.
Ultrasound examination of the abdomen is usually carried out in the presence of complaints:
- pain in the abdomen
- feeling of heaviness and discomfort in the epigastric region, in the right hypochondrium
- bitter taste in the mouth ,etc.
Acute abdominal pain is also an indication for ultrasound examination of the abdomen. Ultrasound diagnostic examination is necessary for control of dynamics of earlier established diseases such as:
- tumors (benign or malignant)
- cholelithiasis (chronic or acute cholecyctitis)
- chronic or acute pancreatitis
- hepatic cirrhosis
- kidney and urinary system diseases
- gynecological diseases
- anomalies in the development of internal organs
- renal arteries stenosis
- abdominal aortic aneurysm
In MC Nairi a new method of non-invasive determination of the degree of hepatic fibrosis – FibroScan is used.
Hepatic fibrosis is a high confidence indicator of liver disease progression and one of the main prognostic factors. Thus the determination of the degree of fibrosis is prognostically significant and is used as one of the important parameters for determining balanced approach to the treatment regimen.
The method is intended for the detection of cirrhosis and hepatic fibrosis, definition of the stage of fibrosis, control of the effectiveness of the therapy. Examination is performed on FibroScan 502, the single one in Armenia (only in MC Nairi!) Echosense company (France). The device is equipped with two sensors and standard M-sensor XL, especially for obese patients. FibroScan is an alternative for liver biopsy, and indicated for all chronic liver diseases, virus hepatitis (I,C), alcoholic liver damage, fatty hepatitis, autoimmune hepatitis. The method is noninvasive, absolutely painless, harmless to the patient, does not require special training. During examination the patient is not introduced radioactive, contrast substances - patient did not get radiation. It allows carrying out examinations multiple times and guiding all process of treatment. Examination lasts no more than 10-15 min., patient receives a conclusion about the result immediately after the completion of the examination.
Ultrasound in gynecology and pregnancy
Ultrasound examination in gynecology allows determination of women's reproductive system diseases at an early stage, even before clinical manifestations, which enables its effective treatment. Ultrasound examinations is carried out to evaluate the condition of the cervix, parauterine space, uterus, ovaries state, ligaments, as well as to diagnose the pregnancy at its early stage.
In MC Nairi ultrasound in gynecology is aimed at:
- preventive examinations of pelvic organs for early detection of pathologies
- diagnosis of gynecological diseases
- identification of pathological changes in the uterus
- endometrial pathology
- chronic inflammatory gynecological diseases
- identification of polyps, cancerous and precancerous formations of the uterus, ovaries
- identification of possible complications after childbirth and abortion
- folliculometry - identification or lack of follicle maturation in patients with infertility
Ultrasound in kidney and urinary tract diseases
In the department of ultrasound diagnostics of MC Nairi the ultrasound examination of the urinary system is performed, in particular, a variety of abnormalities, as well as acquired diseases are revealed: tumors, kidney stones, violation of urodynamics and others.
The indications for ultrasound examination of the kidneys and urinary tract are:
- urination disorders
- pain in the lumbar region
- changes in urine characteristics
- urine analysis abnormalities
- high blood pressure
- presence of peripheral edema, eyelids and face
Ultrasound examination of the scrotum and prostate
An ultrasound of the scrotum enables to evaluate its degree of maturity, size and structure, identify possible diseases and pathological processes.
The indications for ultrasound of the scrotum are:
- pain in the area of the scrotum, swelling (painless or painful) of testicle, scrotum, epididymis
- trauma of the scrotum
- testicular torsion
- testicular tumors
- erectile dysfunction
- problems of conception
- inflammatory processes
- cryptorchidism - absence of one testicle in the scrotum
- varicocele - testicular veins
Prostate ultrasound is aimed to diagnose the prostate diseases, the prostate tumors, identify the causes of male infertility, and plan the treatment.