May we touch the skin mole? Aram Badalyan
Usually, the patients that have aesthetic or medical reasons to have a mole removed are very frightened from the procedure and sometimes even refrain from doing so.
What is a skin mole and what causes it occurrence?
A skin mole or a nevus is a growth that differs in color and shape from the rest of the skin. Moles do not usually appear at birth but develop during puberty. Being actively under the dangerous sun can activate the formation of moles.
Skin Moles can be smooth or bulging, yellow to brown in color and hair can grow on them. You need to be vigilant if the skin moles appear after being long time under the sun.
When the skin mole should be removed?
If the mole changes the shape or the structure surface, causes discomfort, is damaged, it is recommended to remove it. It is not preferable to remove the skin moles in case there is an exacerbation of chronic diseases, cardiovascular diseases or when the skin around the mole looks unhealthy.
How are moles removed?
One of the newest and safe methods is laser removal.
The advantages of laser surgery are.
- The procedure is fast, it takes only 3-5 minutes
- Allows to remove pigmented, vascular and other types of nevi
- The skin heals completely after 5-7 days
- Removal is pain-free and performed under local anesthesia, the patient does not need to use anesthetics.
How to know that the mole must be removed?
Contact your doctor immediately if you notice any of the following
- color change
- diameter greater than 1 cm
- uneven coloring
- increases in sizes
- The number of moles is growing sharply
- Hair loss on the surface of the moles
- border change, asymmetric shape, "toothed" edges
- Small black or brown dots appeared around the nevus
- Sensitivity changes in the form of itching, burning or pain
- A new mole grows in place of the "old" one
Common moles that are not dangerous can also be removed, but in this case the decision of the removal is made by the patient.
Sign up here for our newsletter